Friday, January 6, 2017

Epiphany!

Although we will not celebrate Epiphany until Sunday, today is the true Epiphany. This is a feast that I have either breezed by in the past or not really paid much attention to. It is easy to do as I tend to  focus on Advent leading up to the birth of Christ. Once Jesus is born, even though it is still Christmas, I have moved on in my mind to the next thing. In doing this though, I realize I have really missed out on such a beautiful feast day.



- The Three Kings followed a star. These were not Jews, they were foreign kings. They did not grow up hearing about the Messiah, nor dreaming about his coming. Yet they were drawn to Jesus. Oh how I wish I could be filled with such faith, such trust. I am also reminded of the beauty of how God can work in the lives of anyone, even if they are unaware of it. 

- The Three Kings brought Gifts. This makes me wonder, what gifts do I have to give to the king? When I think of gifts, I tend to think of money and physical gifts. There are so many ways though in my everyday life that I can give gifts to Jesus. I can offer mercy and love where it is undeserved and I can give Jesus the time he is owed. I can give my time to others in a way that glorifies God. I can truly give the gift of myself to others. 

- The Three Kings adored the Lord. These were kings, yet they bowed down before the King of Kings. They showed humility and Love by adoring this tiny child. How Mary and Joseph must have been humbled by this scene! I am challenged to think about how I adore the Lord and my own need to be humble. 

If we just breeze past this feast day, we miss out on a chance to seek the lord, a reminder to assess our own gifts of self (Time, talent and treasures) and a moment to stop and think about the importance of adoring our Savior. 

Here is how we celebrated the Epiphany! 

The Three Wise Men finally made it to baby Jesus. We read our favorite book with the three wise men. (Humphrey's First Christmas. My children find this book hilarious!) I made the kids cereal Crowns. I used Cereal with raisins and strawberries for the jewels. I know it is a stretch, but the kids totally went for it 😉. I also gave them a coloring page. I am always surprised at how excited the kids get over my little thrown together celebrations. Thank you Lord for the simplicity of children and their Joy in the little things! 













No comments:

Post a Comment